Find a language course...
:: Language Advice Line
Intl: +44 1273 725 200
:: Language Learning Zone
English Junior Winter Course (15 English lessons + activities)
New York Grand Central School
The Winter Juniors program is an all-inclusive program for students aged 13 to 17 years old in New York City. Winter Juniors start dates are from 30 December 2012 to 27 January 2013. Students can come for a minimum of 2 weeks.
Students will learn English as well as New York and American culture at the main school in Midtown Manhattan. The special culture classes are hands-on and teach students about the history and culture behind the landmarks and museums they will visit during their stay.
Students in the Winter Juniors will also have the unique experience of meeting and interacting with American teens through programs at the Vanderbilt YMCA in Manhattan. Students will participate in American programs about international communication and relations through activities and workshops such as:
• Youth & Government
• Newsletter Writing/Editing
• Public Speaking
• The Leaders Club
• Transportation: 5 minute walk to the school
• Linens: Blankets, sheets, pillows and towels are included
• Kitchen: Available during day and early evening hours
• Telephones: Payphones available on each floor
• Bathroom Facilities: Shared. Available on each floor. Multiple showers also available on gym level
• Residents Per Floor: Approximately 25-30 (boys and girls mixed)
• Types of Rooms: Double rooms available with bunk beds
• Furniture inside room: bureau/dresser, alarm clock radio, television, air-conditioning (limited storage space)
• Laundry facilities: available, coin-operated
• Daily maid service
• Health club: includes a swimming pool, indoor track and state of the art fitness equipment
• Safety deposit box available at the front desk at no extra charge
• Internet Access: Wi-Fi in the building
• Supervision by school staff members living at the residence
• 8:30 am ...................... Breakfast
• 9:30 am – 12pm .......... General English Class
• 12:15pm – 1pm ........... NYC and American Culture Class
• 1pm – 2pm ................. Lunch
• 2pm – 6pm ................. Afternoon Activity/Excursion
• 6pm – 7pm ................. Dinner
• 7pm – 8pm ................. Homework/ Free Time
• 8pm – 10pm ............... Evening Activity
• 10pm ......................... All students in their rooms!
• Statue of Liberty
• Skating in Rockefeller Center
• Empire State Building
• Natural History Museum
• Brooklyn Museum
• SONY Wonder Tech Lab
• Time Square
• Metropolitan Museum of Art
Course price includes:
• Fifteen 45 minute General English lessons per week + five 45 minute NYC culture lessons per week
• Integrated cultural and social activities with American teenagers through the YMCA Teen Program
• Accommodation in double rooms in Midtown Manhattan at the Vanderbilt YMCA
• 3 meals per day Mondays to Fridays, 2 meals per day on weekends
• One full and 3 half day excursions per week
• Organized staff-led evening activities
• Transportation (Metrocards) within New York City
A Dance plus! option is available for a supplement of $50 per week.
On first day - Written and Oral
Included in the course fees
13 to 17
New York - JFK
A number of activities are available alongside this course, including the sample activities listed below. Please note these may vary and be chargeable.
There are various types of activities which can either be academic, such as a writing workshop, or cultural such as:
- Gospel Choir and Church service
- New York Yankees Baseball Game
- Museum visits to MoMA, The Met, Guggenheim, Museum of American Illustration, the Metropolitan Museum of Art Roof Garden
- Movie Night
- Ice Skating in Central Park
- Lower East Side walking tour
- Live Jazz in Harlem
- ESL Theater Performances
- Concerts, Opera
- NY Aquarium
- Exploring Upper Manhattan, Staten Island
- NYC Boat ride
- Rodeo Grill
and also: play billiards, dinners in Polish, Italian, Chinese restaurants
Note: Accommodation is included in the price of this course; please see the course description for more details.
The School - New York Grand Central
Located in midtown Manhattan between Second and Third Avenues on the fashionable East Side, the centre has been teaching English for over 25 years. The main classrooms are located on the 16th floor of a modern office building. Each classroom has a large window offering a fabulous view of the Manhattan skyline and plenty of natural light. You will be just steps from all forms of transport including Grand Central Station and many points of interest. For example, a 10-15 minute walk in any direction will take you to: The United Nations, Rockefeller Centre, Fifth Avenue Shopping District, The Empire State Building, The Museum of Modern Art and Times Square.
The teachers are all native English speakers, highly-qualified with a keen sense of cultural diversity, university educated (most in pedagogy), communication facilitators, open-minded and responsive to students and their needs, experienced with different cultures, familiar with the challenges and subsequent rewards of full immersion in a new and unfamiliar culture and language.
The Media Centre gives you extra support by using the most up-to-date technology in audio-visual facilities. Students have access to tape recorders for listening and pronunciation practice. Video players enable you to view films with subtitles for the improvement of listening and comprehension. Computer terminals are available for students to use interactive software to perform grammar exercises, improve pronunciation and prepare for the TOEFL and TOEIC examinations.
Everything is an event in New York City. Every part of your experience here will enhance your process of learning American English. Our Activities Coordinator plans several trips each week to include visits to places such as the New York Stock Exchange, television studios, jazz clubs, baseball games, and museums. Some of these activities are trips with your class and teacher and others are school-wide events which you may join in with other students depending on your personal interests. A tour leader always accompanies students in these activities. Discovering the city and its people is the best way to practice your new English language skills.
Best Time to Go
New York City is a year-round destination. Temperatures in mid-September to October and May through mid-June make for the most comfortable visiting weather, with temperatures of around 25°C to 30°C, but the excitement of the winter months and Christmas in New York make for an amazing visit as well. During summertime the city (& the subways in particular) it's generally hot and humid which can be quite uncomfortable.
Nationalities represented at this school
Japan 32%, Germany 16%, France 13%, Brazil 7%, Italy 7%, Korea 5%, Spain 3%, Switzerland 3%,
Argentina 3%, Taiwan 2%, Russia 1%, all others 8%.
English Juniors in New York Grand Central School:
No current dates available, please contact us on for prices and dates.
Remember to quote the course reference code CO-143.
Public Holidays for this school2013
November 28 , 29
December 23 , 24 , 25 , 26 , 27
Airport Transfer Options
Nearest Airport New York - JFK
An airport transfer service is available. 0 pp one way.
Choose the option in step 2 of the booking process.
Other English courses at this school
- English Business Course (20 lessons per week)
- English Intensive Professional Course (30 lessons per week)
- English Professional Course (15 lessons per week)
- English FCE/CAE Exam Preparation Course (28 lessons per week)
- English General course (16 lessons per week)
- English General Course (20 lessons per week)
- English Intensive Course (30 lessons per week)
- English TOEFL Exam Preparation Course (20 lessons per week)