We completely understand that some of our customers may want to or have to change their travel plans as a result of the current Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation. For this reason, we are giving additional levels of flexibility to our customers when you book between the 9th March until 12th April for bookings taking place before 30th June 2020.
If you are unable to attend your course or are unsure about whether you should travel you have the option of postponing your booking to a later date or receiving a full refund. You can request either of these options up to 2 weeks before the start date of your course.
If your course is cancelled by the school as a result of a government imposed lockdown leading to a temporary closure of the school, you will be entitled to a full refund of your course and accommodation fees. This will be valid until the Friday prior to your course start date.
At Cactus Language, our goal is to support our customers and help you make the best decisions in a challenging situation. As such, we will continue to take advice from Public Health England – and work closely with our customers and partner schools across the world to ensure our customers feel safe and supported.