Basic German Phrases – Useful and Common Phrases in German
German is the official language in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, South Tyrol (Italy) and Liechtenstein. Not only is the German language spoken by almost 100 million native speakers worldwide, but it is the European Union’s most widely spoken native language. Whether you plan to embark on a new journey towards learning German or you just need a basic reference for a trip abroad, we compiled some of the most helpful and basic German phrases to help you on your way.
Basic German Phrases:
• Hello = Hallo
• Goodbye = Auf Wiedersehen / Tschüss
• Please = Bitte
• Thank you = Danke
• Yes = Ja
• No = Nein
• Excuse me/sorry = Entschuldigung
• My name is… = Ich heiße
• What is your name? = Wie heißt du?
• Nice to meet you = Schön, dich zu treffen
• Where do you come from? = Woher kommst du?
• How are you? = Wie geht es dir?
• Where is…? = Wo ist…?
• I would like… = Ich möchte…
• How much is that? = Wieviel kostet das?
• How do I get to…? = Wie komme ich zum (m/n) / zur (f)…?
• I don’t understand = Ich verstehe nicht
• I’m sorry, I don’t speak German = Es tut mir leid, ich spreche kein Deutsch
• Do you speak English? = Spricht du Englisch?
Are you looking to start learning German? Do you dream about discovering trendy Berlin? Do you think about sending your child or teen to a German language camp? Cactus offers a variety of excellent German language courses for adults and German language camps for juniors, for those looking to start an immersive language experience.
Learning German is the beginning of an exciting adventure that is waiting for you! Going away soon? These Basic German Phrases will help you on your way and you can also Download our free German Language Kit .
How to Book a German Course?
Please check our How to Book page for more information on the simple secure and easy online booking process. Check the destination page to find more information on our German courses for adults and German language camps for juniors.
Cactus language offers the following types of language courses:
Evening language courses: 23 different languages in 11 UK locations
Language holidays: worldwide immersion courses in the country of the language
Junior language camps: immersion programmes for children and teens across the world
Private tuition: tailor-made and corporate language training solutions throughout the world
TEFL: teacher training courses for both English and other languages all over the world
Online courses: for teacher training, English, French, Spanish and German